Thursday 19 September 2019

How old is too old to dance?

Wednesday evening is my company class with Encore East, a Dance Company for the older dancer housed at Dance East, Ipswich - We are 14 dancers over 50 - I am the youngest at 52 and Pam is the oldest at 78.

Last night was our first class back after summer break and we are privileged to have a new tutor/mentor, dancer Chris Owen (The National Dance Company of WalesScottish Dance TheatreCandoco Dance Company, National Theatre of Scotland. Christopher has worked with international choreographers including; Emanuel GatHofesh ShechterNigel Charnock and the Trisha Brown Company)

Chris began the class with the expected introduction during which he told us he was in his mid-thirties and was still dancing - 'hanging on by his fingertips!'
What does it mean for an art-form when you struggle to sustain a presence after thirty?
I was surprised to be confronted with the embodiment of my research so soon after starting the course, I plan to use Chris as research.

On the drive home, Leonard Cohen's 'Hallelujah' came on the radio, I found myself immersed in his gravelled voice, rasping vocal crescendos and mature celebration of all that is life - not once did I wonder about his right to create and perform his artwork at the age of fifty.
Much to ponder as I proceed on my MAPP journey.

3 comments:

  1. How interesting. Although I am primarily a teacher, I felt that my dancing improved greatly as I passed 40. I was able to bring life experience into my work as a dancer teacher and choreographer and I understood my body so much better than I did as a younger dancer. Now at 54 I do not dance any more due to a hamstring injury, but I do not think it is an age thing, just an injury thing.
    You might enjoy this link https://youtu.be/h-md7cOilko Created by Norwegian dancer/Choreographer Arne Fagerholt, it is a performance called "Patina" danced by ladies of 67 + (they are not dancers!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the link, it's one I didn't know, I enjoyed the performance - My response to it is very torn - I feel there is an important role in keeping all age groups dancing regardless of experience. However, in no other art-form do we suddenly start referring to armatures when we are looking at age (music/drama/art/literature) all have many great professional artists over 50, who's work is just considered (music/drama/art/literature) not in a special category based on the creators age. It is this conundrum I am feeling my way around - Do we need a whole new framework in professional dance, that allows dancers to keep dancing, considering all life's constraints (body, social, mental). So dancers stay performing for longer and choreographers create for a wider spectrum? As you say it's with age we understand our bodies and our movement much better, so it would be great to see that being used much more frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stella, so interesting to read your blog. And what you just wrote about the categories based on age in dance, Its so true! There are many (or more and more) companies with older dancers, but usually its that: a company for older dancers, a category for themselves. I can't think of many productions or companies, where younger and older dancers share the stage. And its such a pity, I do appreciate to see young dancers virtuosity, but I am always very touched and inspired to witness the huge body of knowledge, that is on display in more mature dancers, I feel it takes me to a whole different place.

    ReplyDelete