Thursday 26 September 2019

Between the in-and-out of a Box!




Cornelia Parker's Cold Dark Matter - A Deconstructed Shed

When I re-invented myself as an installation artist, I had no previous training in the visual arts - (my drawing skills are shocking). Through my degree and subsequent career, I have found this lack of formal 'skills' in the subject a really useful tool for always forcing me 'out-of -the-box'. When I start a new project/creation I have nothing to draw on, no technique, I just think to myself what do I need to do to get this done, and what is this 'this' that needs to get done? My media is anything from a shoe to a beach-hut, from video to sticky-back plastic - whatever feels right and through process, both practical and conceptual, connections and communication, I arrive at a 'this' - I'm surprised at how often it seems to be the natural path, the route that I was always going take to get me to where I end up.

With dance I find the complete opposite is true; having had many years of dance training and a good solid foundation of technique to draw on, when I've tried to create dance in the past, I seem to be smack-bang in the middle of the box - repeating and repeating the convergent information referred to in the video. I'm not afraid of the unknowing, I just not sure what not to know?

MAPP is my way of encountering the 'unknowing' - hopefully finding the experiments that will take me to new ideas, new research and a whole box load of divergent journeys.



No comments:

Post a Comment