Thursday 12 September 2019

MAPP Professional Practice Dance

Where do all the dancers go...
When I turned 50 I looked at the work I had been creating as a site-specific installation artist and wondered where I had disappeared to?
Having started my career as a dancer I was surprised to discover, 30 years later, that there was no physical presence of me in my work - ever!
So I began a journey back to dance - It is invigorating, frustrating, challenging, wonderful and ongoing. 
Many questions have arisen but none greater than; Where do all the old dancers go?
If we accept that dance is an art-form, and that one of arts' roles is to 'hold a mirror up to society' - reflecting back, highlighting and challenging our preconceptions of the world around us - Then how does dance do this, when the majority of work created is for the under thirties, created out of only a third of life's experiences.
So I am excited to begin this new chapter of research and reflection on MA Professional Practice Dance, to discover and hopefully disrupt traditional ideas about age and dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment